If their apps working ok, they must be using Fixnbr (rpgiv), ignore decimal data compiler override (rpgiii and rpgii) or internal specs. It's even possible the external definition is wrong, not the programs if you are finding packed data in a external described zoned field. Fixing the data according to external definition is easy (there have been several posts over the years of fix programs) but their programs will continue to pump out new decimal data problems. If they are unwilling to fix it, perhaps the best you can do is the sledgehammer. But you have an integrity problem if external definition is not matching their internal specs.
jim franz

----- Original Message ----- From: "James H H Lampert" <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:34 PM
Subject: Decimal data errors

We have a customer with a couple of files with lots of
decimal data errors in them. Fields that are nominally
zoned decimal, that either have packed decimal values in
them, or EBCDIC blanks.

Apparently, their own applications aren't balking at the
wonky field content, but ours are throwing DD errors,
locking up server jobs and in some cases creating traffic
jams by blocking other jobs from getting locks.

They don't seem to be in any kind of hurry to clean up
their database.

Obviously, I could use a FIXNBR compiler option, but that
would be kind of a "sledgehammer" approach to the problem
(besides which, if the packed-value-in-zoned-field is
meaningful, it would presumably discard meaningful data
that their application understands just fine). Likewise, I
could program-describe the affected files, but then, if
they were changed in any way that affected the fields we
used, or the record length, we'd have to go in and modify
the source, and there wouldn't be any level-check errors
to tell us when there was a mismatch.

Any other ideas?

--
JHHL