On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:54:41 -0500
 Barbara Morris <bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Brad Stone wrote:

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:46:30 -0500
 "Brad Stone" <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think I just answered my own question.  It appears in
mixed strings of SBCS and DBCS the shift in and out
DBCS
delimiters X'0E' and X'0F'

Not sure why I didn't see them before.

Well, that makes my replace procedure much more fun.
 :)  I
assume I just have to first find these two delimiters
anywhere in the string, and when scanning for
replacement
characters ignore anything in between these two values
anywhere in the string...

A fairly easy way to handle this is to do the processing
in ucs2.  (At
least, it's easy, if your string doesn't have more than
16383 total
characters, since that's the maximum number of UCS2
characters that RPG
supports.)

D lparen     c              %ucs2('(')
D rparen     c              %ucs2(')')
D apos       c              %ucs2('''')
D string     s      16383c  varying
   string = %ucs2(charstring);
   --- use all the same code as you had before
   ---   p = %scan(lparen : string);  etc
   charstring = %char(string);

--
This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Before posting, please take a moment to review the

Barbara,

Could you explain what this does a little further?

I found this on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-16

But, of course, it's a bit confusing.

In a nutshell, it sounds like this may convert all
characters, either SCBS or DBCS to unique values so that
there is no way a DBCS value can contain a byte that is
equal to a SBCS value and this problem would be eliminated?

Thanks!  I appreciate this type of input.. could make my
string searching/replacing a lot easier than finding the Si
an So bytes and making sure replacement caracters are not
between these.
Bradley V. Stone
BVS.Tools
www.bvstools.com