*OMIT doesn't make a parameter "optional".

*OMIT means you can pass the special value of *OMIT.

*NOPASS == optional.  You can chose to pass something or not
pass anything.

I think you are splitting hairs here, especially as in my original post I
said I was using *OMIT

When you pass *OMIT to an RPG IV procedure, what you are really
doing is passing a NULL pointer.

I am not sure that is true.  In the called procedure you test the
field's address for NULL, not its value.

It is indeed true.  In RPG you test if %addr(someParm) = *NULL;

My apologies, I read "passing a NULL pointer" as "passing a NULL value"

Not sure I understand what you are saying.  The RPG prototype
specified an int or the C prototype?

Both! That was the problem.  The RPG correctly had INT and the C one
incorrectly also had INT.  When I changed the C one to be a pointer to INT I
could use a NULL in the C code.

regards

Stephen Osborn
Financial Messaging & Integration
Misys Banking Systems
+44 (0)20 8486 1790
stephen.osborn@xxxxxxxxx

RPG doesn't allow optional parameters to be specified before
required ones either.

That is true for *NOPASS but not for *OMIT

*OMIT doesn't make a parameter "optional".

*OMIT means you can pass the special value of *OMIT.

*NOPASS == optional.  You can chose to pass something or not
pass anything.

When you pass *OMIT to an RPG IV procedure, what you are really
doing is passing a NULL pointer.

I am not sure that is true.  In the called procedure you test the
field's address for NULL, not its value.

It is indeed true.  In RPG you test if %addr(someParm) = *NULL;

Since you are dealing with parameters passed by reference,
you are asking if the pointer passed in is NULL.

Note that *OMIT only works with parameters passes by
reference.  You can't use it for parameters passed by VALUE
whereas you can use *NOPASS for parameters passed by
reference or by value.

Thus, in your C/C++ program just make sure you pass a
NULL pointer
for the *OMITted parameter.

I tried that, before I asked a question here, and it didn't
work.  The
procedure prototype said that an INT is being passed as the first
parameter and when I specified a NULL there the module would not
compile.

Not sure I understand what you are saying.  The RPG prototype
specified an int or the C prototype?

However I just changed the first parameter of the procedure
prototype
to be pointer to INT and now NULL is acceptable and it is
now working.

As RPG, by default, uses pass by reference, in a C
procedure prototype
the declarations should be of type 'pointer to xxx'.  All the other
fields in my C procedure prototype were 'pointer to xxx' so
that one
was probably just a typo.

This makes sense and is what I was saying.

If your RPG proto looks like
D myproc     pr
D  parm1               10i 0   options(*OMIT)
D  parm2               10i 0   options(*OMIT)
D  parm3               10i 0

Or

D myproc     pr
D  parm1               10i 0
D  parm2               10i 0
D  parm3               10i 0

Then in either case, your C prototype should look like
(please excuse any typos, been 10+ years since I wrote any C)

void MYPROC (int *parm1, int *parm2, int *parm3)

C will allow you to pass a NULL point for any of the 3 parameters.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
--
iSeries Systems Administrator / Developer Mitsubishi Electric
Automotive America