brian wrote:
   7. log file (brian)

Is there something I can do to a file to cause it to keep the last <= n
records added to it? That is, if n is 10, writing the 11th record would
cause record 1 to be discarded, and the new record would be the 10th
record in the file.

Something like that would be useful in the case of a log file. The file is
helpful for diagnosing recent problems, but you don't want it filling up
the disk, or filling up and being unable to write more records.

Brian:

First thing I thought of was essentially a "direct" file. Process by RRN from 1 to n; when n is reached, reset back to RRN(1). Current RRN can be held externally, in a *dtaara or *usrspc, so multiple programs could lock & update for next RRN or restarts could take off from where it left off.

But why use a "file" at all? Just build a list in a space and address a pointer back to the beginning whenever you reach the end. You might be able to adapt a non-extendable *usrspc to assist with automating the test for when to go back to the beginning. Hold the 'current' offset in the first 4 bytes and update that as you go along.

Tom Liotta