We write new applications every day.I'm writing a cool one now where I get
an XML file created by a design tool the user manipulates. I parse it and
enter it into our order system. I'm also working on a project for signature
capture and AFP contract generation. It's green screen based (except for the
client side and the signature capture pad), I don't care that the i5 costs
more than the p5 (though I'd like the cost to be lower), RPG and ILE seem to
be working pretty well for me...and I'm writing new applications.

On 10/26/06, Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/25/06, Jon Paris <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not getting at you specifically Bob but ...
>
>  >> If it isn't broken, don't fix it,
>
> Sorry - I don't agree and frankly think that this philosophy is doing
more
> to kill the platform than anything IBM has or hasn't done in terms of
> marketing.
>
> VB3 program probably weren't broken when moved to VB4, 5, 6 ... But how
many
> VB3 programs are out there today?  VB4 came out _after_ RPG IV!
>
> The problem is two fold.  First of all programs are just about always
broken
> - they need maintenance.  I believe that by keeping them in RPG400 the
> maintenance takes longer than it need and the programmer is forced to
use
> "old fashioned" methods to solve their programming problems.  Secondly
when
> the user asks for enhancements the decision has to be made as to whether
> do it in the old way or convert and do it the new way.  Often the
decision
> is that "it's not broken" so they do it the old way.  Another
opportunity
> missed.  Another possibility that the new CIO will look at the Apps and
> describe them as old-fashioned green-screen rubbish.  Another nail in
the
> coffin.
>
> If my programs are in RPG IV them adding new features, plugging in
things
> like Excel spreadsheet creation, adapting them for web, etc. etc. become
> easier.

I think this is blame the victim talk. Programmers switched to VB6 and
then VB.NET because they were writing new applications to take
advantage of ever faster hardware and language/OS software with a lot
more features. My guess is the VB3 code was not upgraded, it was
replaced with applications written in the newer languages.  The same
AS400 shops that embraced the cutting edge S/38 technology morphed
into places that shun change? I doubt that.  I think it is that with
the 38 and 400 you could write a better application, so people did
that. If green screen is reworked instead of being discarded, if the
i5 is priced like the p5, if RPG and ILE are improved, then shops will
write new applications.

-Steve