We currently have some very important and
> very old, RPGII systems that run on the AS/400.
-snip-
I am canvassing anybody who has had a similar path
> to follow to share their experience and
> perhaps a few approaches that may soften our
> workload to achieve our stated aims.

In my opinion, if a programmer can understand RPG IV, she can understand RPG II just as easily. Especially since a mass conversion is only going to create RPG II code stuffed into RPG IV columns. The other way round is even easier if you ask me (if I can do that, anyone can!)

Don't think of this project as a massive rewrite that has to take place all in one go. Rather, consider the new things management want from WAS/J2EE, and write new code that takes you there. An example is the stored procedure. iSeries is so cool, we can write a subprocedure in RPG IV, package it in a service program and have many client programs use that function. As a first step to the web, we can call it from an RPG-CGI program that gets fired by a client web browser. Without any changes to the code, we can ALSO register it as a stored procedure and call it from a Java bean!

I'm in favour of having programmers do the development, rather than try to have a tool do a mass conversion. I believe that in the end, you'll need those skills to maintain the modern application, so why go through the trouble of learning a tool on top of learning the new skills? I'm sure others will have different ideas, and that's the value of this list!
  --buck