Alrighty.  Thanks for the fine answers, fellas.

/b;

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob P. Roche [mailto:BRoche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:52 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Converting RPG to RPGLE

The way we did it was to convert all the source. but not compile the
programs. When the programs get any maintenance on them, they will get
compiled then. Even if you don't change anything you still as Jon said,
you still need to test all the recompiled programs.
And remember Jon, don't cry for the RPGIII programs, if they still
perform
properly most companies have other things for us to use our RPGIV skills

on. If it isn't broken, don't fix it, our program, until you catch up on

that programming backlog (like that will ever happen).

"Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/25/2006 12:27 PM
Please respond to

<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Converting RPG to RPGLE

Would there be any advantage for me to run the CVTRPGSRC on the
source
and recompile it again?

Deep in my heart there is a little "sob" each time I hear that there are
still RPG III programs in the world - hey ho!

Anyway to answer your question - the answer is "probably".  The vast
majority of programs run faster when compiled with the RPG IV compiler
but
whether the speed boost outweighs the testing you would need to do is a
question only you can answer.

Before you begin, read the compatibility section of the manual.  There
are
very few significant differences, but you should be aware of them before

you
start.  Most people though can just convert with no problems.  I would
also
suggest that you consider using the Linoma Toolbox
(www.linomasoftware.com).
It is low cost (free to try) and does a _much_ better job than the
primitive
IBM program.  Just the fact that it places your D specs in alpha order
can
save you hours of variable hunting time.  It can also go directly to
/Free
if you wish.

My approach would be to convert each program whenever you need to do
maintenance on it.  If you take the defaults it will work just like the
old
program, but be easier to maintain in the future.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com