From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alan Shore
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 4:08 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Using RRN 0 to do Setll on arrival sequence file

No, the %eof will only be *on for
3   setll      MYFILE

the subsequent read will in fact read rrn 4, which is there, and
therefore %eof will NOT be *on.
Sometimes you may want to know if a particular record exists, your NOT
bothered about the data on the record.
For example
does account # 123456789 exist
123456789   setll Checkfile
            If    %eof(Checkfile)
            account number does NOT exist
            else
            account number 123456789 exists
            endif

There is no need to do a subsequent read. This will prove whether or not
that account number exists.

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019