WARNING you are using *VARSIZE in an unsafe manner. You are risking accessing other areas of memory that you shouldn't be. That can potentially crash your program, but most of the time you'll just end up with extra garbage in the parameters. *VARSIZE is a dangerous option, make sure you understand how it works before using it!

This would be much worse if you were changing the variables.

Whenever you use *VARSIZE you must also pass the LENGTH of the variable as a separate option, or get the length from an operational descriptor. Then you have to write your code in a special manner that ensures that you only refer to the length passed in.

When you use *VARSIZE, the procedure doesn't know how long the data actually is. It thinks it's always the maximum size (the size defined on the D-spec) and when you pass something shorter, it tries to just "keep reading" and goes beyond the end of the variable into other areas of memory.