From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Wayne McAlpine
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 12:31 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cheque printing direct from the iSeries.

There are turnkey solutions out there from vendors like Acom that
produce the entire check on blank check stock.  They use a special laser
printers that support MICR (magnetic ink character recognition?)
printing.  Many stock printers can be converted to print MICR.
Typically the checks are printed on stock that includes a self mailer.
These require a separate device to fold and seal the envelope.  You've
seen these checks with the perforated edges that have to be torn off to
open it.

The other alternative is to roll your own and print to pre-printed and
numbered checks.  Typically these are continuous form checks that are
printed on an impact dot-matrix or band printer.  The check forms can be
  purchased in several configurations, i.e., carbon copies,  These
checks can be burst by hand or by machine and processed by normal
mailroom folder/inserter machines.  There is RPG shareware available to
produce the spelled-out amount on the check face.

Typically the MICR checks are used for high-volume processing and the
impact printers for more moderate operations.

But the best way to handle payment processing is to use EFT.  Your bank
can easily set you up to upload your data and they will do the funds
transfer for you, usually for far less than what it would cost to
produce paper checks.  Our check printing project was shelved
permanently once we started looking into EFT.

Hope this helps as a starting point.

Wayne

Eduard Sluis wrote:
Dear all,

For one of our customers we are to print cheques direct on a cheque
printer.
This Cheque printing requires a bit more than normal printing because we
want to be damn sure that the cheque is printed and is printed only once and
....?!

I have to assume that we are not the first ones to do so and that perhaps
this is a very common thing to do.
What we would like to know is:
- Are tools available to do this?
- What kind of printers are suitable?
- Are there routines available to use with specific printers?
- Anything to think about we might overlook?
- Any experience that could help us!!

Any help/response appreciated.
Kind regards,
Eduard Sluis.