Yes, Scott, it was me who had the problem with the open. And you did tell
me how to fix it. I'm using the 'access' API and it works beautifully. The
problem is that the workbook DOES exist.

The only difference between all of my testing of the 'read' process and
the current situation is that when I was testing I'd:
create the workbook in the IFS, and use Navigator to drag it to my desktop
use my Excel (2002, if you can believe it) to enter some values in the
sheet
save it back to my desktop, and drag it back to another ('inbound') folder
in the IFS
The 'read' worked perfectly (after you advised me to download the latest
version of your service pgm HSSFR4).

Now, in production, the original sheet has been emailed to the salesman,
who's changed it and emailed it back to me. I save his sheet to my desktop
and then drag it to the 'inbound' folder in the IFS. I don't know what
version of Excel he uses to save his sheet. Should it matter? I've tried
re-saving his sheet using MY Excel version and the read ('open') still
fails.

I'll try the possible solutions you mention but I have a real bad feeling
about this.

Arthur J. Marino
Southern Container Corporation
(631) 231-0400 x133

Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/21/2006 12:38 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Excel/POI - Here We Go Again

Strangely, the 'open' returns an address of ZERO for 'book' but does not
halt. The exception occurs only when the HSSF_GETSHEET fails because the
'book' address is 0.

That's not strange at all.  In an earlier discussion someone (I thought it

was you, actually?) was trying to handle situations where hssf_open()
could fail.  I think he was trying to open a file that might not exist,
and wanted a way to handle the error properly.  My memory is fuzzy, but it

was something like that.

Hang on, I'll look up the message in the archives...  yes, it was you.
Here are the key messages in the thread where we discussed it.
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200608/msg00733.html
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200608/msg00745.html

I probably didn't tell you that I changed it, though..  my fault.  The
idea, though, is that instead of crashing (and taking the JVM down) when a

file can't be opened for some reason, it now returns *NULL.  Your program
and therefore check for that.

      if HSSF_open( '/path/to/myfile.xls' ) = *NULL;
           ErrMsg ='Unable to open Excel document';
           ShowErrorToUser(Errmsg);
           iter;  // try next document.
      endif;

The following part of your message is the REAL problem, the reason why
it's failing and therefore returning zero:

  received Java exception
"org.apache.poi.hssf.record.RecordFormatException:
  Unable to construct record instance, the following" when calling
method
  "<init>" with signature
  "(Lorg.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem;)V" in class
  "org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook".

Excel documents are made up of specially formatted "records" (they aren't
database records in the manner that we're used to thinking of, but they
are a record of sorts.)

When the Java code (HSSF) is reading the file, it needs to create a new
Java record object to handle the record that it just loaded from the Excel

document.  However, for some reason it's unable to do that.

I would suspect that either it doesn't understand the format of the record

(maybe it's a feature that HSSF doesn't support) or there's a bug in the
Apache HSSF code.  Something like that.

Unfortunately, that's outside of my area of expertise.  You could try
upgrading POI to see if it's fixed in a newer version, or you might try
searching (Google) for the Java error to see if anyone else has
encountered it and found a workaround.