Makes sense to me.

The main benefit of any programming is consistency of structure, for those that inevitably follow.

My dislike for "leave" is confusion about what it is I am leaving if the loops are complex or over 13 lines.

rick baird wrote:
What is the advantage over:

C  dou  cmd3 or cmd12
 select
 when cmd3
 exsr endpgm

 when cmd12

no particular advantage except personal preference and style.

I don't like compound and complicated if / do statements. the simpler
the better. If I add another function that leaves the loop, I have to
make the do line even more complex.

In the example i gave, only F3 and F12 exit the loop.  But in another
program I might have another 6 command keys or other conditions who's
functionality requires that I leave the loop.

That would make my dow look a mess.  Why complicate the dow
requirements when I can simply put the leave or iter right next to the
"when" clause that processes it?

If I'm looking at what F17 processing does, and that particular "when"
section ends with another when, I don't have to page up the top of the
do to check if that condition ends the loop or not - it's right there
in front of me, no need to look at the loop.  There also might be code
after the endsl that gets processed for several of the when groups,
but none of the iter/leave when groups.

again, it's just personal preference.  imo, smoother, easier to
understand, no jumping around looking for what happens next.  if it
"leaves", I find the enddo.  if it "iters" I go to up to the do.

and again, I rarely use this technique outside of my screen processing
subroutines.   I can take my skeleton and create a simple subfile pgm
in an hour, and this technique allows me to add complexity to it very
quickly, without changing the basic structure.  they all look the same
and work the same.