Hi Dick

I've seen similar behaviour on files, which for reasons I could not deduce,
required the FRCRATIO value set to 1 on the CHGPF command. (Default is
*NONE)

Regards

Regards

Martin Bath
Global IT Group
Invensys Controls

message: 1
date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:40:29 -0600
from: "Dick Superneau" <DSuperneau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Deleted record still seen

I am looking for some help with two similar procedures that behave
differently.  I have a program that uses procedures to perform the file
updates that are requested by the user.  During a loop through the
program, the user can request a record to be deleted.  This deletion can
then cause a record from another file to also be deleted.  When I use
debug to walk through the program, I can stop the program at the point
right after both deletions have occurred.  At this point, I do not see
the records in the files.  The program returns to the top of the loop
and calls two similar procedures to renumber the sequence fields in the
two files.  When the first procedure is called, nothing happens as the
parameters that are passed in do not match any record in the file.  When
the second procedure is called however, a record is found on the read
statement- the one that was deleted.  Since there is no such record, the
update causes the program to crash.  The procedures are in a service
program that has *CALLER as the activation group.  Each of the
procedures has usropn specified for the file that is being used.  The
first called procedure treats the file correctly and does not see the
deleted record, but the second procedure seems to think there is a
record in the second file even though it has been deleted.

The two files are input only files in the calling program.  I have
thought that there might be a snapshot of the second file created when
the program opens and this is why the program thinks there is still a
record in the file because the view of the file has not been refreshed.
However, it doesn't explain why the similar snapshot of the first file
doesn't behave in the same manner.  I hope this makes sense.  Any help
will be appreciated.

Thanks, Dick

Regards

Martin Bath
Global IT Group
Invensys Controls
Tel:      +44 (0) 1752 724388
Mobile: +44 (0) 7736 017318
Fax :    +44 (0) 1752 732455
 **** PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS  ****
Email : martin.bath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and also may be privileged.
If you are not the named recipient, or have otherwise received this
communication in error, please delete it from your inbox, notify the sender
immediately, and do not disclose its contents to any other person, use them
for any purpose, or store or copy them in any medium. Thank you for your
cooperation.