Michael,

Yes, there is a message header and echo data in the message that
identifies message.  I can interrogate  the message and respond
appropriately.  I guess what I am not sure about is how to handle the
situation where both my process and the vendor try to send at the same
time.    Would I have to check the socket before each send and receive? Do
I do that with the select( ) api?

Thanks.

- Mark

Mark -

Is there identifying information coming back from the vendor? I do things
like that where I have a job that sends unsolicited requests to a vendor
and
receive unsolicited responses back. The last response doesn't necessarily
match the last request - it's a credit system where the request could be a
credit application that could take 1 second to 2 days to be decisioned. I
send identifying information in the request and the vendor just echoes
that
data back to me with the response. Based on the identifying information, I
route it back to the requesting job (an interactive job). I do this with 1
data queue for requests - all interactive jobs send to the same data
queue,
and multiple data queues for responses - each interactive job creates a
data
queue for the response. My comm job is essentially a traffic cop - sending
requests to the vendor and receiving the responses.

- Michael