Certainly with Ajax or whatever cool thing is coming next to supplant Ajax (not
that I know of anything) the ability to "run on" something is nearly a non-issue
for Business applications. Running on a network with a browser or other GUI-like
interface can be accomplished today. I use RPG IV back-end (i.e., CGI and Ajax
programs) to do virtually all the work I need. The user interface is HTML with
JavaScript (aka, "Ajax") and seems to be good enough or even better than that,
for nearly all applications.
The Mac is an okay box but the OS is just Unix with some Mac-centric stuff
thrown in. Not a very good GUI in my opinion (I use both Windows and Max OS x
daily). But not a bad box. Would it ever replace Windows/Intel on the desktop in
corporate America? I'd bet big money that the answer is "no".

The PowerPC chip that Apple used to use was dual core and very fast. Even their
latest Xeon-based Mac Pro that they announced isn't that much faster in some
applications that PPC is. It is interesting that they used Xeon rather than Core
2 Extreme; perhaps Intel, once again, can't fulfill its promises.
But Apple is comparing a new Xeon chip to a 1 to 2 year old PPC chip that they
used in the old boxes. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison (pun
intended).  The new Intel boxes actually run slower than the old ones with what
is perceived to be an Apple-dominated application group, that is PhotoShop.
PhotoShop runs slower on Intel-based Macs than on PowerPC-based Macs.

I think the powerpc-based PC ship has sailed. IBM could have done it for their
ThinkPad line and had MS get in line with a PowerPC version of Windows. Then we
could run Linux or Windows on the Thinkpads. But by selling off the ThinkPad
division, they will never use PowerPC in Thinkpads.
We'll see if Apple regrets abandoning the PowerPC when Power6 and the follow-on
chip for those Game vendors appears (I've heard 6Ghz to 8Ghz is the starting
point). If IBM can make them run cooler (which they'll have to) and if Intel
can't produce their Core 2 Extreme in quantity, then Apple surely will have made
a huge blunder. But, at the end of the day in the business desktop computer
world, it doesn't matter what Apple does, because every important application
runs on Windows.

-Bob Cozzi
www.iSeriesTV.com
Ask your Manager to watch iSeriesTV.com