language queues it can be difficult to decipher meaning in some cases.

With apologies,
Adam

rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/08/2006 04:08:34 PM:

Grouping "all" into one basket is not what I was doing.
Assuming someone means "all" when they say "some" or "most" is a
bitunfair as
well.
But your point is well taken.

-Bob Cozzi
www.iSeriesTV.com
Ask your Manager to watch iSeriesTV.com

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of AGlauser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:08 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Jakarta POI - HWPF for word files

Hi Bob,

you wrote on 10/08/2006 10:29:47 AM:

This is often the case with this "free" software. Most of the time,
people are
doing it in the spare time, however frequently the unemployed (i.e.,
recent grad
students) are doing it to play in the sandbox and to get their resumes

out
there. Odds are the "Maintainer and Main contributor" probably took
jobs
at
Google.
This is the risk you take in using this opensource/free software.

I agree that this is a risk.  In the case of the POI HSSF subproject, it

is widely used enough that the chances of it being abandoned seem low.
The
HWPF subproject seems to have been low on interest for its entire
lifespan, so its abandonment probably shouldn't come as a surprise.

While it is true that some free/libre open source software (FLOSS)
projects are the pet projects of one person, I don't think it's fair to
paint all FLOSS with the same brush.  Some examples of open source
software that is not likely to be abandoned are the Apache webserver,
Apache's XALAN project, the Expat parser project, Eclipse, OpenOffice,
Firefox, PHP, Python, MySQL, and the Postgres DBMS, just to name a few.

It is also worth noting that abandonment is a concern some many
proprietary systems, thought the risk is usually farther in the future
but
perhaps less predictable.  I remember reading many articles by people
who
were very concerned when Oracle bought companies who had products for
the
iSeries.  In this case Oracle decided to continue to support the
customers, because there were enough of them.  When deciding on any
software, the size of the customer base (or "user community" in FLOSS
terms) is an important consideration.  One of the benefits of FLOSS is
that if the creators abandon the project, your migration is easier.  In
some situations you can simply begin to maintain/update the software
yourself.

I'm not trying to say that FLOSS is always better than proprietary, but
don't dismiss all FLOSS as risky simply because it is FLOSS.

#####
Attention:
The above message and/or attachment(s) is private and confidential and
is
intended
only for the people for which it is addressed. If you are not named in
the
address
fields, ignore the contents and delete all the material. Thank you.
Have a nice
day.

For more information on email virus scanning, security and content
management, please contact administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx

list