You know, that may even look cleaner that what we currently are doing.
And we wouldn't have to retrofit our current main programs.
And if someone wrote a main program and forgot the /IF they wouldn't get
burned.

Precisely :-)

So, for instance, most of my prototype copybooks for IBM API's simply
include the folowing line at the top:

     /COPY QRPGLECPY,QUSEC

and I don't need to worry about duplicate definitions, since QUSEC is as
follows:

     /IF NOT DEFINED(QUSEC)
     /DEFINE QUSEC
     *
    D QUSEC           DS                  Qualified
    D  ErrBytesProv                 10I 0 Inz(%size(QUSEC))
    D  ErrBytesAvail                10I 0 Inz
    D  ErrMsgID                      7A
    D                                1
    D  ErrMsgDta                   512A
     *
     /ENDIF

If the API returns a single defined structure (i.e. it doesn't have a FORMAT
parameter), I typically include the structure definition in there as well.
That way, my program only needs to include a single copybook (the API
prototype definition) and everythign else it needs is included. It can be a
pain if you forget and start asking where the structure is defined, but it's
worth it from the simplicity aspect, I think...

Rory