Mike,
No download, no install required.
Just enter the commands below on a command line.
All you need to know is the domain name or IP address of your email
server. For example, we use an Exchange server at
nzaklbh-ex0001.corp.bayadv

1. Create an INI file
    CRTSRCPF FILE(QGPL/INI) RCDLEN(240) MBR(DB2WWW)
2. Load your SMTP server name using EDTF
   EDTF FILE(QGPL/INI) MBR(DB2WWW)
   and add the following line
   DTW_SMTP_SERVER nzaklbh-ex0001.corp.bayadv
3. Create a script to call the email function
   EDTF FILE(Qgpl/INI) MBR(EMAILTEST)
   and add the following line to create a simple script
   %html(macro) { @dtw_sendmail("koldark@xxxxxxxxx",emailTo,emailMsg) %}
4. Load the path to your email script
   ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(PATH_INFO) REPLACE(*YES)
   VALUE('/qsys.lib/qgpl.lib/ini.file/emailtest.mbr/macro')
5. Set the value of parameters for emailTo and emailMsg
   ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(QUERY_STRING) REPLACE(*YES)
   VALUE('emailTo=peter.connell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&emailMsg=Good
morning')
6. Change to the directory where you put the INI file
   cd '/qsys.lib/qgpl.lib'
7. Run Net.data
   CALL QHTTPSVR/DB2WWW
That's it, the email should be sent.
Steps 1-3 need only be one-time for configuration.
Steps 4-7 can be compiled into a program.

This is a fully supported IBM feature that comes with any iSeries.
The documentation for DTW_SENDMAIL is at
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/software/netdata/db2rn.pdf

There are up to 11 parameters.
For instance if you want to send an rtf attachment
@dtw_sendmail("dtwdude","peter.connell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx","blah
msg","blah subject","  ","   ","","","/www/printversion.rtf")

Peter