First off, this request is something that would be much, much easier
with the right GUI since the GUI separates the result set from the
presentation of that result set and usually by default includes the
capabilities to sort by any column.

Secondly, how realistic is it to allow the user to be able to page
through 15,000 records.  Is the user really going to hit page down
(15,000/20 =) 750 times???  Consider how you could subset the results to
a more reasonable amount.

There's basically two methods of dealing with this on the green screen.

1) Opening and closing cursors as needed prepared from a dynamic
statement (Johnny Johnson's method)
---But consider that the usual "position to" is replaced by "subset by"
or "start at".  The difference being with "position to" I can goto a
record in the middle and hit page up.  With "subset by" or "start at",
the first record on the new screen is the first record in the result
set, I can't hit page up.  You could try automatically closing the
current cursor and opening one that provides prior records. Position to
= MICHAEL means WHERE name >= 'MICHAEL', to hit page up, I'd need to
close the WHERE name >= 'MICHAEL' cursor and open one WHERE name <
'MICHAEL'.  Remember to handle the fact your reading backwards!

2) Emulate the GUI, separating the result set from the presentation.
Retrieve a single results from the DB and store it in memory (
RPG-array, userspace, ect) You'll need a way to search and sort this
result set in memory (bsearch & qsort).  This is going to be the most
flexible, including allowing for the normal "position to" or "subset
by".  But requires more work.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America