Something was, indeed, wrong with the PREPARE statement. Or more precisely its placement.

Normally, I suppose (since I'm new to this), one would be dealing with a database on which the program is running. I was connecting to a database on a different box. The problem, as it turns out, was that I placed the CONNECT statement *after* the PREPARE's. A little bit of info I neglected to include in my tome, thinking it wasn't relevant since eventually the connection was made.

Once I out the CONNECT *before* the PREPARE's, everything was hunky-dory.

It was Tommy who put me on the right track (shame on me for being mean to him; I'll buy you a drink at the next user group meeting) by suggesting that I look at the sqlcode and sqlstate values. They weren't exactly crystal clear, but a heck of a lot better than the job log.

And I did have to use the cutesy little 67 parameter marker variable from the D-specs. Is there a way to continue the VALUES clause when building it in a string in calcs, such as:

HdrString = 'INSERT Into ' + %trim(Library) + '/' + %trim(HdrFile) + ' Values(?,?,?,
   ?,?)';

Just seems that, since it's part of a quoted string, there's no way to do the continuation with a '+' as it would think that (and the blanks) were part of the quote.

Thanks for the help, guys.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Wilt, Charles wrote:

Jerry,

The 10 parameter markers should work, assuming that none of the fields
left out are defined with a default value or they allow NULL.  (In other
words, you're not required to fill in a value.)

The 67 parameter marker version should work.

Try taking a look at SQLSTT/SQLCOD after the prepare statement.  The
SQL0518 - Prepared statement *N not found. Error leads me to believe
that something is going wrong during the prepare.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343
fax: 513-398-1121