Hi Jim,

Are there any good examples of using api's accessing the IFS?  IBM's or
any body elses.

Want to "open", "read", and I guess "close" file, that a software package
to do Credit Card processing has decided to put some of there reports (XML
format) in the IFS.

I wrote a 7-part series entitled "RPG and the IFS" for iSeries NEWS magazine. It ran from November 2004 til September 2005. If you're a ProVIP subscriber, you can read these articles at the following links:

 http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=19312
 http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=19473
 http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=19626
 http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=19751
 http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=20050
 http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=20141
 http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=20235

I'm rather proud of the preceding articles, since they've won two awards. In 2005 they won the "Gary Guthrie Award for Excellence in Technical Writing" from the staff of iSeries NEWS. And just recently, they were awarded a Silver medal by the American Society of Business Publication Editors (www.asbpe.org) (my article was in the Western Region, under "Feature Series")

The iSeries NEWS articles use free format RPG and are aimed at V5R2 (or later) of OS/400.

I also have an older tutorial (V4R5, fixed format) that's available for free on my Web site.
http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/ifs.html

There's also material in the IBM Redbook "Who Knew You Could Do That with RPG IV? A Sorcerer's Guide to System Access and More". The redbook is even more out of date than my Web site, but if you haven't read it, there's a TON of good information (not just IFS stuff) that you might be able to use in the future.

Julian Monypenny also wrote a series on this. I can probably dig up links to that if you're still looking for more material! :)