I'm sure it will help gobs and gobs, John! Thanks loads for these comments!

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of rollouts of the first batch of programs in
this set that makes up a long overall project, since the testers are waiting
for the first ones, and they couldn't wait for this. BUT this functionality
will have to be "retrofitted" into those when I get it working.

So it'll be a few days before I can revisit this, even with these helpful
points.

I also got a suggestion from IBM's support line, on using the qshell LDAPSEARCH
to check the actual (numeric) IP's, and another from Scott Klement to try
TELNET to the server name/port number. I will try those also.

Also, meantime, the sysadmin is researching into setting up our i5 boxes as
"replica LDAP servers", assuming I understand the terminology correctly,
meaning copying the LDAP data to the IBM (partitions/boxes) on a nightly
schedule, since using the *LOCAL directory would probably be smooth as ice (in
my directory newbie opinion).

I have thought that would be a "kludge", since the dadgum thing is supposed to
work!  :-) I've been sure that either (1) I'm just missing the exact values
somewhere, or (2) missing something in the API's, or now, based on your mention
of PTF's, (3) missing PTF's. !

I say again, THANKS loads!

--Alan