From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Alan G. Campin
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 11:12 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Nasty little problem

I am writing that little command to build a command string but have run
into a nasty little problem which blows my mind.

I am receiving the string from the command like this

InParmList

  Number of Entries   3

  ParmList(1)    = 'My Sister Sam                             '

  ParmList(2)    = 'A Value                       '

  ParmList(3)    = '00000125.24'

Here is my code:

d WorkString...

d                 s           4096a   Varying

d x...

d                 s                   Like(StdInt)

d cBlanks...

d                 s              2a

 /Free

  WorkString = 'CALL PGM(' +

               %TrimR(InProgramName.Library) + '/' +

               %TrimR(InProgramName.Program) + ') PARM(';

  // Add the parmeters in a loop.

  For x = 1 to InParmList.NumberOfEntries;

    If x = 1;

      WorkString += %TrimR(InParmList.ParmList(x));

    Else;

      WorkString += cBlanks + %TrimR(InParmList.ParmList(x));

    EndIf;

  EndFor;

  WorkString = %TrimR(WorkString) + ')';

  Return WorkString;

Now problem is that now matter how hard I try to insert a blank between
the parms, it puts them together so I get:

PARM('My Sister Sam             ''My Value
''00000125.24')

If I put another character like a '~', it works fine except if I try to
convert to a blank. The second I convert it to a blank, it sucks up the
blank.

I can watch the string in the WDSC debugger and watch it transform
instantly.

What could be causing it to suck up the blanks? Have tried every kind of
trick and it always sucks out the blanks. I am assuming it has something
to do with the strings have quotes in them but can't figure what.

Thanks for any help.