From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: 12 June 2006 21:41
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Separating logic from interface

Chris,

The first document (alsp.doc) came through ok.  The second one
(alspmods.doc) returned the infamous "The requested URL
/downlaods/alspmods.doc was not found on this server" error.  Tried several
variants without success.  Couldn't find access to it from the homepage.

Loved the knots, though!

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chris Pando wrote:

AGlauser@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Good morning all,

This is perhaps a bit of a heavy topic for a Monday morning, but it's
on my mind so I'll ask.  Does anyone have any references or sample
code which gives some guidance on structural programming techniques
for separating display logic from business logic in RPG.  I am
familiar with the Model-View-Controller (MVC) technique in OO
languages, but I am having trouble figuring out the best way to apply
these sorts of techniques in a structured programming environment.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, Adam

I have some notes from a project where we separated business logic from
presentation logic.

http://www.pando.org/downloads/alsp.doc
http://www.pando.org/downlaods/alspmods.doc

alsp stands for Application Logic Service Program.

All V3R2 (sorry, an old project).

The first doc lists all the procedures we found necessary to implement
an interface much like PDM's.

The second doc lists (on a very high level) modifications required to
an interactive template program in order to utilize the ALSP.

I have source code as well, but since I've been known to prefix my
variables with an '@' sign, I won't post links here :)

It's not much, but sometimes just knowing what procedures need to be
written is a help,

Chris