Bruce Collins wrote:

1) Program A has a record Lock on record 1 of filea.
2) Program B tries to get a lock on Record 1 of filea but fails.
Since Program B failed I want to retrieve what statement number in
Program A that caused the Lock Condition so I can track down where I
need fix the code to handle locked conditions.

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Bruce,

This sounds like an on-line maintenance program that has the lock. I surmise that because normally a batch program will vacate the lock long before the time-out occurs (though not always). I have users bring up Customer Master records all the time under the maintenance program - and then go to lunch (both literally and figuratively).

The best solution for that kind of scenario is to:

   * Retrieve the record without a lock
   * Store the current ("Before") image of the record
         o Or just the fields if you update by fields rather than the
           whole format or record
   * When the user enters their changes, retrieve the record for update
   * Test to see if the record image (or fields) still matches the
     original image
   * If so, update the record / fields
   * If not, send them a message ("You took too bloody long") and go
     back to step #1.

I had to modify about a dozen major file maintenance programs to accomplish this but, once I did, support calls dropped significantly.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice