When you say "date" do you mean date or do you mean "numeric"?
Unless a zoned/packed "date" value is stored in YYYYMMDD format, you'll have
to do something like you described. I'm sure there are alternatives--this is
software after all.

If by "date" you really mean date, then just order the logical by the date
field and do a SETLL followed by a READ loop until the number of records in
the subfile is the number you prefer.

I like page = size subfiles myself. Then I tend to load the data I'm going
to display, into a multiple occurrence DS or (today) into a Data Structure
Array. Then just use the subfile page as a Window to the
data-shifting/sorting the data as needed.

Another approach is to move to a Web Browser-based interface, where you
don't have the limitations of DSPF DDS's subfiles.

-Bob Cozzi
www.iseriestv.com