On 25/05/06, Douglas W. Palme <dpalme@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been working on an AP Check program to generate AP Checks and print
them out (using a normal PRTF file).

One of the issues I have been stumped on is how to print out the amount
description.  If the amount is $10.00, I need to print Ten Dollars and
00/100.  I suppose I could create a table with the numeric values and a
corresponding text value and just pull that info in.

It would have to be a pretty big table if it were going to contain
every possible value you could print out on a cheque, and you'd still
have the problem of how to populate it.

There are basically two solutions. The simple one is to design the
cheque with boxes for units, tens, hundreds, thousands etc. Then put
the number in words in each box, printing asterisks in the unused
high-order ones. So $1024 would appear as ******** ******** ********
******** ONE      ZERO     TWO      FOUR     .

The other is to use a subroutine or service program to generate a
nicely formatted text string from a number. You can find just such a
service program written by Gary Guthrie at the following link.
<http://www.as400pro.com/servlet/sql.tipView?key=954&category=ProgTips>