> Do you have any idea of the top number?

My apologies to the list for not including links. It was far simpler to dredge the information out of the PDFs on my hard drive.

The DDS manual says:
The maximum number of record formats in a display file is 1024. The maximum number of fields in any one record format is 32 763. The maximum number of fields that can be displayed per record is 4095. The maximum combined length of all named fields and indicators in a record format is 32 763 bytes, regardless of the usage (I, O, B, M, H, P).

The Application Display Programming manual chapter 3 says this:
For a remote 5250 display station (a display station attached through a remote controller),you can specify as many as 126 or 256 input fields on one display, depending on the controller model. (The 5294 controller supports 126 input fields; the 5394 controller supports 256 input fields.) Additionally, if either DSPATR(OID) or DSPATR(SP) is specified, this maximum is reduced by 1 for each three instances of these keywords. If fewer than three instances occur, it is still reduced by one.

For a local 5250 display station (a display station attached through the local display station controller), you can specify as many as 256 input fields. Also, if either DSPATR(OID) or DSPATR(SP) is specified, this maximum is reduced by 1 for each three instances of these keywords. In addition, any use of the magnetic stripe reader on a local 5250 display station also reduces the maximum number of fields.

The maximum number of fields is calculated as follows:

256-[((3+B)/6)+(A/3)] rounded up to the next whole number

A is the number of DSPATR(OID) and DSPATR(SP) fields on the display and B is the length of the longest expected magnetic stripe input where 125 data characters is the maximum allowed. Magnetic stripe data not specified as DSPATR(OID) can be entered into any input field.

If the maximum number of input fields is exceeded in any of the preceding cases, message CPF5192 is issued to the using program.

No maximum-number-of-fields diagnostic is provided during display file creation because the number of fields and record formats is not known until the program is run.

And would using DFRWRT(*NO) have a
> different value from DFTWRT(*YES)?

Don't know the answer for certain, but if you remove several fields and it works, we have a better diagnosis...
  --buck