My general observation is that there are a lot of RPG programmers (not
even a majority, just a good number) who don't want to learn anything
new and it doesn't matter one way or the other. For those who are
willing to learn new concepts, it would probably be better to start with
fixed format RPG IV since it's very similar to RPG III.

I know one thing that drives me crazy when learning new concepts are
dumb examples. I really don't need to write another "Hello World"
program but on the other hand, I don't want to start off with an example
of sending a probe to Mars either. I also like it when the examples
build on themselves.

If I were going to teach this, I think I'd do something like the
following:
- Find a straight forward RPG III program (or write one but it has to
actually do something that can be applied in day to day programming)
that uses some common routines
- Demonstrate the CVTRPGSRC command with that program and how little it
does to the source (I know this is easy but you need to show it's easy),
spend a little time going over what this command changed.
- Pick one of the common routines and convert it to a procedure with a
meaningful name
- Move that procedure to a module
- Pick another common routine, convent it to a procedure in another
module, point out how this can get messy with lots of modules compiled
together
- Show a service programs using the two modules demonstrated above and
how it can make life easier
- Show how binding directories can be helpful when multiple service
programs are involved (or when you have a bunch of modules going into a
service program)
- Show how to use DSPPGM to determine what the various objects that make
up a particular program are

I would not introduce free format code in this class unless you want to
leave it as an exercise for the student.

Matt