All,

I really like the idea coding optional parameters as (*NOPASS : *OMIT).
Particularly when the parameter is question ends up in a null capable
file field.

However, as far as I can tell actual implementation is ugly beyond
belief.

      /free
           if bin_Required();
             wToBin = AskUserForBin();
             Inventory_MoveSerialized(wPlant:wSerial:wToStkRm:wToBin);
           else;
             Inventory_MoveSerialized(wPlant:wSerial:wToStkRm);
           endif;

           *INLR = *ON;
           return;
      /end-free

     p Inventory_MoveSerialized...
     p                 b                   export
     d Inventory_MoveSerialized...
     d                 pi              n
     d  plant                              like(t_PlantID) const
     d  serial                             like(t_SerialNumber) const
     d  toStkRm                            like(t_StockRoom) const
     d  toBin                              like(t_BinLocation) const
     d                                     options(*NOPASS:*OMIT)
     d  parm5                        10a   const options(*NOPASS:*OMIT)

      /free
           if %parms >= 5;
             if parm5 <> *OMIT;
               SomeOtherProc1(plant:parm5);
             else;
               SomeOtherProc1(plant:*OMIT);
             endif;
           else
             SomeOtherProc1(plant);
           endif;

           if %parms >= 4;
             if parm4 <> *OMIT;
               SomeOtherProc2(plant:serial:toStkRm:toBin);
             else
               SomeOtherProc2(plant:serial:toStkRm:*OMIT);
             endif;
           else
             SomeOtherProc2(plant:serial:toStkRm);
           endif;

           if %parms >= 5;
             if parm5 <> *OMIT;
               if toBin <> *OMIT;
                 SomeOtherProc3(plant:toBin:parm5);
               else;
                 SomeOtherProc3(plant:*OMIT:parm5);
               endif;
             elseif toBin <> *OMIT;
                 SomeOtherProc3(plant:toBin:*OMIT);
               else
                 SomeOtherProc3(plant:*OMIT:*OMIT);
               endif;
           elseif %parms >= 4;
             if toBin <> *OMIT;
               SomeOtherProc3(plant:toBin);
             else;
               SomeOtherProc3(plant:*OMIT);
             endif;
           else
             SomeOtherProc3(plant);
           endif;

           return;
      /end-free

Calling SomeOtherProc1 & SomeOtherProc2 is ugly enough, but calling
SomeOtherProc3 which uses two *NOPASS:OMIT parms is horrible.  I'd hate
to imagine what it would look like if there were more *NOPASS:*OMIT
parameters being passed to it.

So how are you all dealing with this wreak?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that it might be best
to drop the *NOPASS, since I believe that I can pass along (by const
reference) an *OMITted parameter to another procedure with no problems.
So for instance this would work with parm5 *OMITted or not:

      /free
           if parm5 <> *OMIT;
              dsply parm5;
           endif;
           SomeOtherProc1(plant:parm5);
      /end-free

It would really be nice if RPG allowed you to make a varible NULL
(*OMITted)

So for instance you could have:
     d wToBin      s                 like(t_BinLocation) inz(*OMIT)
      /free
           if bin_Required();
             wToBin = AskUserForBin();
           endif;
           Inventory_MoveSerialized(wPlant:wSerial:wToStkRm:wToBin);

           *INLR = *ON;
           return;
      /end-free

Then in the Inventory_MoveSerialized even with *NOPASS I could have
      /free
           if %parms >= 5;
             wParm5 = parm5;
           else
             wParm5 = *OMIT;
           endif;
           if %parms >= 4;
             wToBin = toBin;
           else
             wToBin = *OMIT;
           endif;

           SomeOtherProc1(plant:parm5);
           SomeOtherProc2(plant:serial:toStkRm:toBin);
           SomeOtherProc3(plant:toBin:parm5);

           return;
      /end-free

Thoughts?????