So on one had we complain if code isn't "readable".  And
the other hand we compain if we use a viable (and more
intuitive) method and it's a little slower because of how
it was implemented (which is no fault of our own).

Sometimes it makes sense to simply make a choice and live
with it.  In this case, it isn't broken, and doesn't need
to be fixed.  Choose your battles, so to say.  (Yes, I
understand it's fun to nitpick, that's what this list is
all about).

The newer machines easily make up for the extra seconds it
may take to use a return variable as opposed to a parameter
or a pointer.  A process I tested on my 170 that took 6
hours or more on a new 520 ran in 90 seconds.

I'm not saying all cases to use a return variable, but
where it "makes more sense"...  we shouldn't have to worry
about how it was implemented down in the bowels of the OS.

Brad