I believe it wasn't implemented right, but it was implemented, period.
They can "fix" it (i.e., change the way they did it) but I don't think there's
enough complaining about it today for them to be working on it.
Late last year, I rewrote my "Convert to CSV" format routines from using lengthy
return values to only using parameters. The results we, well very surprising.
The new stuff runs several 10's of times faster. No longer changes, just parms
instead of return values.

Java? Well I think Java is a specific tool, for a specific job that many people
have fallen in love with. Like someone here recently said of RPG when your only
tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail. That can be said of Java
too.

PHP, Perle, Python, RPGIV, Java, JavaScript--no one tool is right for every
task, but today, just about every tool can be used for every task. And if you
only have to do something once or twice, then it probably doesn't matter if you
using Java or RPG IV. Use what you want.
Likewise, if you are only returning a long value once or twice per transaction,
then go ahead. In my Convert to CSV routine, however, I have customer with
hundreds of millions of records that they are sending to a third party for
integration into an Oracle database. That third party requested the data in CSV
format. Multiple 150,000,000 records by 18 (the number of fields in the file)
and you can see how many times a lengthy return value would contribute to the
overall processing of the task.

-Bob Cozzi
www.RPGxTools.com
RPG xTools - Enjoy programming again.