If you are using CA/400 5250 emulation or some other then you should be
able to use the HLLAPI API's for screen scraping.  Look at the IBM site
for more info on the Client Access API's

If you're open to commercial options our iSeries 5250 Integrator product
can probably help.  Takes about 5 minutes to configure a screen for
scraping.

We also have offerings that can capture info from a non-5250 Window
application screen as well.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or if you would like
more discussion.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
message: 3
date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:44:56 -0700
from: "Douglas W. Palme" <dpalme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Capturing screen data from secondary program

If we have a menu option that allows a user to run a program and that
program displays a code on the screen, is there a way for us to capture
that
code without having access to the actual program running?

here is the issue, one of our financial companies is Comdata which has
provided us with a copy of their software which will generate an express
code for a monetary advance which we will give to our drivers.  This
express
code (comcheck code) is displayed on the screen.  we need to capture this
and write it to our payroll files so we can ensure that the driver has the

amount deducted from their paycheck.

Since we do not have access to the underlying code, we cannot modify it to

write out the information, and I am hoping that there is a way for us to
capture it from the screen.

Suggestions, comments, or just tell me I'm nuts.

If you bought it, it was hauled by a truck - somewhere, sometime.