Not sure what the problem was, but I ran into the same problem with the links.
It _looks_ as if the originally supplied address was incorrect. Apparently,
this address _requires_ specifying //www... Creating my own seemed to work fine:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1E5226FC
and
http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=BC48038E0F4D4858B6A72E1402792288