Douglas,

I'm not sure what you feel the issue is with using MOVE, I just ran a test
program and here are the results:

H DFTACTGRP(*NO)
H BNDDIR('XTOOLS/XTOOLS') OPTION(*NODEBUGIO:*SRCSTMT)
H ACTGRP(*NEW)

 /copy xtools/qcpysrc,dates
 /copy xtools/qcpysrc,utils

D SysDate         S               D   Inz(*SYS)
D date6m          s              6S 0
D date6x          s              6S 0

C     *MDY          MOVE      SysDate       date6M
C                   eval      date6x = DateToDec(SysDate:'*MDY')
C                   callp     WrtJoblog('MOVE=%s  xTools=%s':%char(date6m):
C                                                         %char(date6x))
C                   eval      *INLR = *ON
****************** End of source ********************************************
Output:

> call testdt
   MOVE=41406  xTools=41406

Obviously the results are identical.
A Zoned(6,0) ends up with the system date in it.
Using xTools or the MOVE opcode, you end up with the same results.
(FYI, I did the xTools function because I wanted something in free format that
would world consistently on V5R1 and later without all the nested/nested/nested
built-ins.)

-Bob Cozzi
www.RPGxTools.com
RPG xTools - Enjoy programming again.