As it happens, I'm looking at these issues right now (I'm writing a web
service front end for our Vertex implementation) and one of the issues
with zip codes is that they can span multiple counties which can change
tax rates. If you're not worried about calculating taxes, you can look
up the city name by zip code (you can buy the data from the USPS to do
this if you don't have anything) and get the city name that way. You'll
want to make sure to pick up the preferred name for that zip code. If
you have the zip+4 in the order, you should be able to pick up the
county name as well which will take care of the issue with finding the
right GEO code for taxing purposes.

With Vertex specifically (we have an old version so some of this may
have changed by now), it's GEO coder program (VGE100) only takes city,
state, 5 digit zip, and country as input. It can return up to six GEO
codes and county names (but only the first 10 characters unless you
change LINKAR and then it can return up to 30). You could end up with a
handful of city names from the post office files and a handful of county
names from Vertex but you should be able to figure out which is which
with some simple matching.

As an aside, a "GEO Code" isn't specific to Vertex. That term is used in
the tax industry to identify a tax locale. Locales with less than 250
people do not have specific GEO codes. Also, we have an eCommerce
package that uses Taxware and the GEO codes it generates are different
than Vertex's.

Matt