I don't like CRTDUPOBJ either because of some extra authority needed
versus the temp table approach.

What is it that you are unable to do?  Are you unable to compile against
the 'standard' and run against the QTEMP version?  Is that the hurdle you
are trying to get over?  I'd be happy to do further testing.  However this
is the issue I am running against.  If my 'standard' is this file
                R MATTR
                  MYCHAR         5A
                  MYDATE          L
                  MYDEC          7P 2
and I use SQL to copy it to QTEMP then it messes up the record format
name.  So how are you getting around that?
- sql it to qtemp as file MATTR and rename the file to something else?

You seem to have a hang up with compiling against the QTEMP version.  If
you can figure out a way to resolve the record format issue so that I can
compile against the standard and then use the qtemp issue, I'd be happy to
test.  Frankly that's the only thing that CRTDUPOBJ brings to the party
over the GLOBAL... technique, that I can see anyway.

Maybe this is the whole reason that you are seeing the format level check.
 Maybe it is not because of the date field(s).  Maybe it is because of the
record format name?

Rob Berendt