On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, albartell wrote:

I was just thinking today about a project that I am working on that is
cataloging 22,000 PDF invoices (per day) on a Windows machine and the
approach we have taken to ensure top performance is to put no more than 1000
files in each directory by dynamically creating new directories multiple
levels deep instead of putting all files in one directory.

I thought this was just a Windows problem but then a co-worker of mine said
Linux had the same problem (or similar at least), and that got me thinking
about all of the files I write out to the IFS with RPG.

Does anybody know if the IFS base file system suffers from the same dilemma?

This issue on linux depends greatly on what filesystem you choose. ext2 suffers from poor performance when a directory contains many files. Other filesystems such as XFS do not have this problem. Since linux supports multiple filesystems you can choose one that will best match your needs. If you want to put many files in a single directory I recommend using linux with XFS.

As for the iSeries, I am unaware of the same amount of documentation for the IFS as exists for linux and XFS. So I can't tell if the IFS suffers from the same problem. I think the best way to find out is to put several days worth of files in a single directory on the IFS and measure the performance.

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw