rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   8. Re: QWCCVTDT frustrations (Scott Klement)
>
>You state that the following code works.  I find that very hard to
>believe, since the code doesn't make sense.  (I tried it, it doesn't work
>on my system)
>
>> InVarPtr            S                *
>> (the pointer to the variable that contains the *DTS data to convert,
>> passed into program)
>> InVar                 S               *    Based(InVarPtr)
>> OutVar              S            17A
>> InFmt                S            10A   Inz('*DTS')
>> OutFmt             S            10A   Inz('*YYMD')
>>
>> Call        'QWCCVTDT'
>> Parm                                InFmt
>> Parm                                InVar
>> Parm                                OutFmt
>> Parm                                OutVar
>
>Why doesn't this code work?

<snip>

>b) The API is expecting "InVar" to be a character string, and you're
>passing a pointer.  Therefore, when it reads it, it'll get the bytes of a
>memory address rather than the bytes of an actual DTS date.

I looked at that and couldn't make sense for a while. Then I realized that he
wasn't "passing a pointer; it only _looks_ like he's passing a pointer because
that's how he declared it. He's actually passing the _address_ of the pointer
which he's set to be the same as the address that was originally passed in.
Since it's a program call, the _address_ is what's important regardless of how
he declares the variable stored at that address.

No?

What a great example of misdirection.

Tom Liotta