praveen gunda wrote:

> What is the best way to use Activation groups? I am really worried about
> file access.
> I am trying a progressive approach as to when ever we change a particular
> program find the generalizable procedures and put it in a service program.
> Change the program to use these procedures. Also I have made all the utility
> Service Programs to run in one activation group.
> Should I use it with OVRDBF ..... Share(*YES) ? What are the advantages over
> not using  Share(*YES)

A warning - if you do your I/O in a *CALLER service program, you may get
the same behaviour as SHARE(*YES), but without any override.  If you
call your *CALLER service program from two programs that are both in the
same activation group, the file would only be opened once.  The only way
you could avoid this sharing would be to make sure that the callers of
your service program were in different activation groups.  (This is not
anything special about service programs; you would get the same
inadvertent "sharing" effect using an RPG III program to handle your
I/O.)

By the way, there have been a few good threads about using activation
groups in the archives.  Scott is right that there is no one true way to
use activation groups, but the discussions might help you determine what
is best for you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22activation+groups%22+site%3Amidrange.com&meta=