Thanks Rich - works great.
I should have known that but too blind to see...
Jim Franz
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Duzenbury" <rduz-midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: ifs file create has extra characters

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 12:47 -0500, Jim Franz wrote:
I am using Scott Klement's ifsebook examples and creating a ascii text file, code page 819. When I specify the file name is a text string ( like 'myfile.txt' it worked fine. If I put the value in a field, I end up with an extra character '>' in the file name. Have debugged this for quite a while and am sure that > symbol not in my field called "filename".
Hoping someone (or Scott) can offer me a clue where I went wrong.
 * determine file name
c                   eval      filename = %trim(p1FilDir) +
c                             %trim(p1PostUsr) +
c                             %trim(p1FilSufix)
c                   eval      filename = %trim(filename)
 <clip> (debugged here & filename = 'mmcvv5.manifest'
Create a new file, and assign it a code page of 819:
c                 eval      fd = open(filename:
c                               O_CREAT+O_WRONLY+O_CODEPAGE:
c                                S_IWUSR+S_IRUSR+S_IRGRP+S_IROTH:
c                                819)

The > in the display is letting you know that the filename is longer
than can be displayed.  Specifically, the file you created is most
likely called 'myfile.txt                            '

If filename is a character field, it is blank filled.  So, even if you
trim it, it is still blank filled.

Trim the filename at open time:

eval fd = open(%trim(filename) : ...