Hi Joep,

<snip>
Adding a new prototype to a copy book may lead to duplicate definitions.
So, in order to accomplish something in program A you extend a copy
book. A few months later you modify program B and it won't compile
(Experience? How did you guess.). Thus, it makes sense for a change
management system to force a compile for all sources referencing the
copy book.
</snip>

This is why we need namespaces in RPG. Of course, you can simply name your procedures using modulename_procedurename syntax. That way you can guarantee two similarly named procedures in two different modules wil never clash.

However, procedure name clashes will not get resolved by a mass-recompile by a change management system. The problem will only be highlighted during first-phase development and not during subsequent development Such things as name clashes should be considered during the design phase, and new procedure names should be included as part of the development definition. I know it is never that simple, but if one of our programmers unilaterally created a toUpper() procedure, I'd choke on my coffee because I just KNOW it would conflict with something somewhere. I don't need a mass-recompile to know that. :-)

Cheers

Larry ducie