rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   8. RE: Death of RPG38 and RPG36 -and- more! (Jeff Crosby)
>
>> With that said I am glad they are taking it away in some part
>> because now they won't have to support it which will
>> hopefully leave more time for new features in the latest
>> compiler versions.  But it just smells of Microsoft thinking.
>>  Know what I mean?
>
>But the AS/400 came out in what? 1988?  That's going on 18 years.  I think
>IBM went above and beyond.  I can't imagine MS supporting business users to
>that extent.

Further, the news is about what will happen in the _next_ release of i5/OS, not
even V4R4 which technically isn't even available yet.

V5R4 will be supported for what...? ...at least two more years of course, and
it will be viable for a few years longer. What we're talking about is ongoing
support for systems that were effectively obsoleted 20 years earlier. Not "new"
20 years earlier, but obsoleted.

Given a possible V5R4 lifetime, one way of looking at it is IBM saying that
these software packages should be converted during the next ten years.

Tom Liotta