Rob,

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of your categorization: Our software (originally written for a /34!) and data are primarily 36E; all new stuff is RPG IV or ILE RPG.

Before I came to work here it was about 99% 36E (a few RPG III programs - since converted). The company went through two hardware upgrades before I arrived, and had me do a V4R4 -to- V5R1 some afterwards. And, last year, upgraded to an i5 520.

While, as I said, all new stuff is IV, there has never been a compelling reason to port the OCL and RPG36 code to III or IV. Most mods are only a few lines. On occasion I'll write a IV program that the II program calls to get what it needs.

Anyway, I guess my point is that even some of the late bloomers continue to upgrade hardware (and software). My gut feeling (i.e., no empirical data to back it up), though, is you are right about the upgrades. People that are happy with their software/hardware will not feel compelled to move up. For the rest of us, like moi, the PRPQ /may/ force us to do a full conversion to native; probably depends upon both the costs and the consequences of not doing so.

By this time, IBM has probably analyzed the data and figured they've converted most of the old 36 (and 34) boxes to some sort of iSeries box. There are stragglers (I know a few), but the numbers are probably too minuscule for IBM to keep investing resources in 36E and (god help us) 38E.

For contractors I see this as a potential opportunity to generate business by helping organizations move out of the 36E. Somewhat like Y2K but on a much smaller scale. I do /not/ foresee people abandoning the iSeries because of this. They simply will or will not upgrade period. And people like me will, based upon available resources, have to determine if the old code and databases should be modernized or PRPQ-ed.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Aaron,

I look at it this way. The people who run straight RPG36 or straight RPG38 have an old machine plastered into a closet somewhere, like the "Legends of iSeries" story. They couldn't care less about a new machine not supporting these ancient languages because they don't upgrade. And frankly, why should IBM care about losing business to companies that haven't purchased a thing in 15 years?

The other side of the fence is the people that are running mainly RPG or even RPGLE based code, and have some RPG36 or RPG38 code. These people may be a growing business and purchase new equipment on occasion. These people will be affected. I suspect that many of these people would be grateful at the chance to have a "business" reason to convert these last few applications to something more current. And not only the IT people...

Rob Berendt