However, after reading your reply, I am pretty sure that the reason why no errors are reported are because I am using a router (Linksys wireless router) which has a built in firewall. On that router, I am doing port forwarding to open up the port that I want to listen on with the socket server.

Most likely if you're blocking ICMP on your firewall (which I really doubt you're doing if you're using an el-cheapo wireless router) the connect() would hang and never complete.

IF you're using a proxy for port forwarding, then that would explain the issue. However, the cheap wireless routers usually use NAT, rather than proxying, so I don't think that's likely.

Also, you shouldn't need to do port forwarding for OUTBOUND connections if you're using NAT. You'll only need port forwarding for incoming connections.

Based on what you said, I am guessing that the firewall is not reporting an error on the socket connect and that's what's causing the lack of a failure indicator/message.

That'd be a long shot. To test it, try using the iSeries TELNET client. Type TELNET HOST('whatever.com') PORT(8540). Does that also appear to connect, but not really?

Have you tried looking at NETSTAT *CNN after initiating the connection, like I suggested?