 Hi,

I am trying to figure out some basic sockets programming using Scott Klement's
tutorial. This is an excellent tutorial!

Here is the problem I am finding.

I use the code from Scott's sample:

         C*************************************************
         C* Create a socket address structure that
         C*   describes the host & port we wanted to
         C*   connect to
         C*************************************************
         c                   eval      addrlen = %size(sockaddr)
         c                   alloc     addrlen       p_connto

         c                   eval      p_sockaddr = p_connto
         c                   eval      sin_family = AF_INET
         c                   eval      sin_addr = IP
         c                   eval      sin_port = port
         c                   eval      sin_zero = *ALLx'00'

         C*************************************************
         C* Connect to the requested host
         C*************************************************
         C                   if        connect(sock: p_connto: addrlen) < 0
         c                   eval      msg = 'unable to connect to server!'
         c                   dsply                   msg
         c                   callp     close(sock)
         c                   return
         c                   endif
and it works fine.  The problem is that it shouldn't work because I do not
actually have a socket server listening on the port I specify in the SIN_PORT
paramater. That is, if I use a port # of 8540 in SIN_PORT for example but my
socket server is actually listening on port 3994, then I should get an error,
right?  But I don't. Instead, I get the return value = 0 and the program
continues on.

If it makes a difference, my socket server is running on a pc and I use the DOS
command NETSTAT -a to see what is active on all the ports.  I see my socket
server listening on port 3994 and nothing on 8540, and yet the connect does not
return a negative value.

Obviously I am missing something here, but I am so new at this stuff that I
cannot see what it is.

Anyone have any ideas of things I could check?

Thank You

Dave Johnson