From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barbara Morris
Sent: Saturday, 4 February 2006 10:50 a.m.
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RPG XML Parsers and Schemas was -> Bob's letter on V5R4 RPG
stuff

Aaron Bartell wrote:

> >No - not yet.  It makes the assumption that the XML is well-formed
and
> valid.  Although if there are missing/extra elements/attributes you
can deal
> with it.
>
> Just want a little clarification on this one because I don't know what
they
> are using under the covers (assuming Xerces). A parser (usually)
_does_ care
> about well-formed and will throw errors (with column and line number)
if not
> well formed.
>
> Did you mean to say that it assumes the XML meets the constraint
criteria of
> whatever schema/dtd it represents? So even though a <order> tag might
> require one <item> element based on the schema (XSD), the parser could
care
> less.

The parser simply requires that the XML be well-formed.

It's a non-validating parser, so schemas or DTDs are irrelevant to it.

RPG's XML-INTO operation does put a constraint on the XML: that the XML
conform to the RPG variable.  For example, if you specify a data
structure INFO with subfields IDNO and ADDRESS, the default behaviour of
XML-INTO is that the XML document is expected to have the document
element named "info", with two children (either elements or attributes),
one named "idno" and one named "address".

D info              ds
D   addr                  100a
D   idno                    5p 0
 /free
  xml-into info %xml(xmldoc);

This XML-INTO statement requires the XML document be something like
this:
   <info idno="1350">
      <addr>Whatever</addr>
   </info>