>No - not yet.  It makes the assumption that the XML is well-formed and
valid.  Although if there are missing/extra elements/attributes you can deal
with it.

Just want a little clarification on this one because I don't know what they
are using under the covers (assuming Xerces). A parser (usually) _does_ care
about well-formed and will throw errors (with column and line number) if not
well formed.

Did you mean to say that it assumes the XML meets the constraint criteria of
whatever schema/dtd it represents? So even though a <order> tag might
require one <item> element based on the schema (XSD), the parser could care
less.

IMO schema's are slightly overrated when used at runtime in production, and
that may mostly be because of my dealings with Java generated schema error
messages which look completely different that those generated by business
logic once the XML has reached the callbacks of the parser (so now you have
two methods of getting business errors back from a single web service -
yuck). Not to mention the overhead of validating every stinkin'
element/attribute parent/child relationship on top of parsing it. Overhead
that is not needed IMO because most will check to see if a value is valid
even after the parsing takes place :-)

Where I love schema's is when you have to relay to all parties involved what
the document should look like and what the general "rules" are of the end
xml document being transmitted.  With the tooling in WDSC schema's are easy
to create and generate "instance" xml files, or rather, XML files that
represent what the Schema is trying to convey.

Those are my thoughts on schemas/dtds :-)
Aaron Bartell