 >> Would we get performance improvements if we divided our 42 subprocedures
into 5 or even 8 service programs?

How long is a piece of string Booth? <grin>

The simple answer to your question is - I doubt it very much.

The longer answer is that you have to look at the tradeoffs.  More subprocs
means more initialization that may not be needed.  More SrvPgms means more
initialization of the SrvPgms.  Part of the criteria is how likely the
subprocs are to be used during the currency of the job.  If they will likely
be used at some point then the more subprocs in the SrvPgm the better.  If
they are only used once a month - they probably should be Pgms anyway.

I have seen some shops load 250+ subprocs in a single SrvPgm without any
problems.  I have seen many that have a one subproc = one SrvPgm rule (which
I think is just plain silly).  Some will have a large SrvPgm for interactive
use, but have more smaller SrvPgms for use in batch work where the job
duration is shorter.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com
www.RPGWorld.com