  To everybody helping out on this,

  I'm sorry if I have misled anybody about the actual error that I'm getting.
It only appears in the joblog, the program does not blow up.
  The actual error that appears in the job log is:

  Message ID . . . . . . :   MCH3601       Severity . . . . . . . :   40

Message type . . . . . :   Escape
Date sent  . . . . . . :   01/27/06      Time sent  . . . . . . :   06:16:06

Message . . . . :   Pointer not set for location referenced.
Cause . . . . . :   A pointer was used, either directly or as a basing
  pointer, that has not been set to an address.

  This error does not appear in the joblog until I call the API. On my system,
the API still does not create a spooled file. The error data structure on the
API returns this:

  BYTESPROVIDED OF EXT_APIERROR = 000000528.
BYTESAVAIL OF EXT_APIERROR = 000000015.
MSGID OF EXT_APIERROR = 'CPFB5CF'
RESERVED OF EXT_APIERROR = '0'
MSGDTA OF EXT_APIERROR =
          ....5...10...15...20...25...30...35...40...45...50...55...60
     1   '                                                            '
    61   '                                                            '

  Message description for CPFB5CF is

  Message ID . . . . . . . . . :   CPFB5CF
Message file . . . . . . . . :   QCPFMSG
  Library  . . . . . . . . . :     QSYS

Message . . . . :   Function ended due to unexpected error.
Cause . . . . . :   The function ended due to unexpected exception &1.
Recovery  . . . :   See message data and previous messages.  Correct the
  problem and try the operation again if possible.  Otherwise, record the
  input parameters, job log messages, and any other helpful information.
  Contact your technical support representative for assistance.

  This message led me to the joblog message, which says "pointer not set". My
first thought was that I was passing a bad path name to the program (yes Scott,
I am passing a parameter to the program). But I discounted this because if I
pass the exact same path to the version of the program from the archives that
copies to a file, it finds the stream file fine. Since Scott, Rick, and Simon
can all run this program OK on their respective machines but it still doesn't
run on mine, could it be version or PTF related? We're on V5R1.

  Also, I appreciate all the comments on improving the code. This is not the
program that will end up in production. This project is only in a proof of
concept stage. This code was taken directly from the archives and I'm sure it
was written a long time ago. I didn't want to take the time at this stage to
rewrite this program if the project is not  going to go forward. If it does
goes forward, this program will be totally rewritten to use different output
queues passed in as a parameter. Plus, it will need all the code to handle
multiple page images. I just want to see if I could get the API to work.

 Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new
and used cars.